Commercial property owners must be aware that flat roof maintenance is essential in preventing damage and ensuring the roof maintains its service life, value, and that it provides protection for the building and the people within.
As a general rule, flat roof maintenance in Toronto, Ontario should be performed seasonally. It’s also advisable to inspect a flat roof for damage after any severe weather, including exceptionally heavy precipitation in the form of rain, hail, or snow, and after any type of windstorm.
So, how can you maintain your flat roof to remain in good condition? Follow these helpful tips to keep your roof solid and free from any serious damage.
- Remove debris. A commercial flat roof or industrial flat roof is susceptible to debris accumulation. If debris is left to gather on the roof, it will quickly form in heavy bunches that trap moisture while providing a base for other vegetation to grow, including bushes, weeds, or small trees. You should also pay attention to trees surrounding the roof (if any) and remove any branches that could fall onto the roof or scratch against its surface. Heavy branches can cause punctures and leaks that can lead to roof deterioration.
- Keep drains clean. Flat roof drains are placed in locations on the roof that will collect the majority of the water, which is then fed through a system of pipes until it reaches a gutter. Because they can accumulate dirt and debris, drains on a flat roof should be cleaned at a minimum of twice a year. Debris and backups within your flat roof’s drainage system can leave pooling water on the roof.
- Snow removal. Here in Toronto, heavy snowfall can damage even a properly maintained flat roof, resulting in leaks, stress to seams, or even roof collapse. In the winter months, ensure that professional snow removal is a part of your flat roof maintenance plan.
- Ensure that any equipment on the roof is secure. Any type of equipment on a flat roof should be properly attached without causing punctures to the roofing system and materials. A good way to ensure that all equipment is secure is by having a professional do the job; equipment can be mounted on top of a platform on the flat roof, which can limit damages altogether.
- Avoid excessive stress on the roof’s surface. While you may require certain types of equipment on your flat roof, it’s important to know how much is too much. Flat roofs are susceptible to undue stress from too much weight on its surface. As a result, the roof could collapse, causing extensive property damage and threats to the safety of the people within. To avoid excessive stress, request documentation from your roofing contractor on how much weight your flat roof can manage.
- Check for ponding water. Standing pools of water that is unable to properly drain is known as ponding water. If you happen to notice a hollow area with watermarks or a dirt ring surrounding it, then it means that your flat roof ponds regularly, in which case a proper drainage system may need to be installed.
Contact Your Toronto Flat Roofing Experts Today
As a commercial or industrial property owner, properly maintaining your flat roof ensures that it protects your investment as well as your property. Crown Industrial Roofing is among Toronto’s most trusted industrial roofing company that’s dedicated to assisting you with your commercial and industrial roofing in Toronto and the surrounding areas. Call us today at 416.744.7788, or book a free roofing inspection here.