Every commercial property and its structure are different and unique. When it comes to a property’s roof, there are many different types of material that can be used during installation. That’s why commercial roofers offer such a wide range of roofing options.
Depending on how your property is used and its geographical location, you may benefit from a traditional hot asphalt flat roof, or prefer another option like rubber or synthetic rubber roofing. Knowing which roofing material is best for your property is key.
So, how can you tell?
You can start by evaluating your property’s specific operational demands and associated costs. If you’re a commercial property owner in Toronto and looking for durable, long-lasting material for your flat roof, consider rubber roofing, otherwise referred to as Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM).
What Is EPDM Rubber Roofing?
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) is a synthetic rubber created from a combination unsaturated hydrocarbon alkene. The result is the flexible yet highly durable roofing membrane. EPDM is widely used in the Greater Toronto Area and owes its growing popularity to its longer-than-normal lifespan: 25 to 30 years.
At Crown Industrial Roofing, we’ll apply EPDM membranes in three thicknesses: 45 Mil (thousandths of inch), 60 Mil and 90 Mil, depending on your property’s size and its operational requirements.
Thinking of installing an EPDM membrane on your commercial or industrial flat roof? Read on and discover why EPDM is a good option for your flat roof in Toronto, Ontario.
- Reduced Risk During Winter Cleanup
It’s no surprise how harsh Toronto winters can actually be. For commercial property owners, that means a lot of shoveling and clearing off ice and excess snow melt from your flat roof. While flat roof drainage systems can usually keep up with snow melt, sustained periods of below-freezing weather may lead to snow and ice buildup and roof contraction. If left unaddressed, a heavy enough buildup may threaten the building’s structural integrity. Luckily, EPDM rubber roofs allow for efficient removal of snow and ice without causing serious damage if treated properly.
- Easy & Cost Effective Maintenance
A major benefit to installing EPDM roofing is its longevity and cost effectiveness. EPDM synthetic rubber is known to retain its elasticity and flexibility, even in industrial settings with a higher degree of rooftop foot traffic. Rubber roofs also offer excellent resistance to not only snow and ice, but also, to the weathering effects of ozone and ultraviolet light. In other words, it’s very rare for an entire EPDM roofing system to need replacing all at once. Instead, minor (and less costly) repairs can be performed quickly and without major disruption.
- Quick Installation Process
While most flat roofing systems are quick and relatively easy to install, this is especially true for EPDM rubber roofs. Most rubber roofs are installed with a single-ply membrane, making the installation process quick and easy for certified EPDM roofing contractors. Not only are EPDM rubber roofs quick and easy to install, repair jobs are just as easy. Industry-leading rubber roofing systems are truly an excellent investment for your commercial or industrial property. The low material costs and quick installation allows for lower overhead, all without sacrificing structural performance.
EPDM Rubber Roofing In Toronto
If you’re interested in learning more about how an EDPM rubber roof can benefit your commercial property, or if you’re looking to install or repair a flat rubber roofing system, our team of certified commercial roofing contractors will help you every step of the way. Our EPDM rubber roofing experts in Toronto, Ontario has the experience and necessary resources to successfully complete your commercial or industrial roofing project. Book a free commercial roofing inspection with us today.
If you own commercial property in Toronto, Ontario, you know that wind is no stranger. In fact, Toronto can experience high wind gusts out of nowhere, even without rain, hail or other harmful weather. For your commercial property, and in particular, your commercial roof, wind damage can affect the safety and security of your building and the people within.
So, how can you take responsible action before, during and after high wind gusts?
There are several types of commercial roof damage brought forth by high winds, including leaks, missing or damaged flashings, missing shingles, drainage problems, and more. As a commercial property owner, you’ll want to know how to spot roof damage after strong wind, so that you can address the problem promptly and efficiently.
Here’s how you can find commercial roof damage after strong wind in Toronto.
- Roof Leaks
Leaks in your flat roof are perhaps the easiest to find. Why? Because water will come into your building and likely leave water stains in the ceiling panels. Even if water hasn’t yet made itself visible, you should always inspect your property, particularly your roof, for wet spots (or water in general) after any type of windstorm. If you’re unsure where to look for leaks or wet spots, or if you need professional advice on how to protect your roof from harsh winds, call a commercial roofing expert immediately.
- Missing or Damaged Flashings
Strong winds, heavy rain, or falling tree branches can pull off or damage flashings on your flat roof. Split flashings are most often found at stress points on the roof i.e. on the edges, in the corners, near HVAC equipment, or at the ridge or slope. When flashings become damaged, they will no longer keep water from entering the roof, and therefore cause leaks or other damage caused by moisture buildup.
- Backed Up Gutters & Drainage Systems
High winds can cause tree branches, leaves and other debris to build up into a flat roof’s gutter and drainage systems. Not only can clogged gutters prevent water from properly draining off the roof, they can also easily freeze shut and cause excessive weight on gutter fasteners, ice dam conditions, and slippery walks below. To prevent your gutters from clogging after excessive wind, rain or snow, contact a professional commercial roofing company in Toronto to inspect and clean away any excess debris from your commercial or industrial flat roof.
What to Do if Your Roof has Wind Damage in Toronto?
If your flat roof has damage caused by wind or flying debris, it’s important to repair it immediately. The longer you wait to repair your damaged roof, the more damage will occur, and the more expensive the problem will be. Flat roof replacement and flat roof repair will cost a lot less when you take care of weather damage immediately.
Need help repairing your flat roof after wind damage? Contact the experts at Crown Industrial Roofing. We are a trusted name in Toronto flat roof repairs, and we deliver quality work in both a professional and timely manner. It is our priority to make sure that you get the value for your money when you invest in flat roof repair or flat roof replacement in Toronto and the surroundings.
Getting your commercial or industrial flat roof repaired or replaced by an experienced commercial roofing contractor is the way to go. Call Crown Industrial Roofing now for a free roofing inspection.
As a commercial property owner in Toronto, it’s important to know everything about the structural integrity of your building – and that includes your flat roof and how it will hold up during Toronto’s hot summer months. During the summer, heat absorption can create high flat roof temperatures – but how hot do they really get?
Every type of industrial roofing material offers a different rate of light reflection and heat absorption. To help you understand the differences in temperatures between the various commercial or industrial flat roofing systems in Toronto, we’ve put together a basic reference guide below.
Here’s the kind of temperatures you can expect your flat roof to reach this summer in Toronto, Ontario.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems
Modified bitumen roofs are a top choice for flat and low-sloped roofing structures. This type of roofing material is composed of polymer modified bitumen material that is reinforced with one of more layers of fabric. When it’s installed, a variety of application methods can be used, including cold applied, heat weld, self-adhered, mechanically fastened, and hot applied applications.
How hot does a modified bitumen roof get during Toronto’s summer months?
When it comes to heat absorption, modified bitumen roofs can absorb up to 90% of solar energy, converting to heat and emitting into the atmosphere. As a result, a modified bitumen roof’s temperature can range from 60-88 degrees celsius on a hot, sunny summer day in Toronto.
- Built Up Roofing Systems
Built Up Roofing (BUR) are multi-ply, hot asphalt-based roofs, and are ideal for sectional and complete flat roof replacements and repairs. BUR consists of alternating layers of asphalt and other reinforcing materials, and as a result, creates a finished, waterproof membrane to provide longevity and effectiveness.
How hot does a built up roof get in during Toronto’s summer months?
A built up roof can range from 50-60 degrees celsius during the summer in Toronto. These temperatures are lower than that of what a modified bitumen roof can see, but still, fairly hot compared to other types of industrial roofing material.
- PVC Roofing Systems
PVC is a type of single-ply roofing membrane that is also used on flat or low-sloped structures. PVC is known for its durability, cost-effectiveness, and suitability for flat roof repairs. This type of roofing membrane is the third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer in the world.
How hot does PVC roof get during Toronto’s summer months?
Because of its highly reflective material, it is unlikely that a PVC roof will overheat in the summer, or at all. The average temperature of a PVC roof in the summer months is between 38-48 degrees Celsius. An added benefit to a PVC roof is that its highly reflective materials reduce energy demand as well as monthly heating (with insulation) and cooling costs.
Toronto’s Commercial Roofing Experts
Interested in learning more about how to properly maintain your commercial or industrial roof during Toronto’s hot, sunny summer months? Crown Industrial Roofing has a reputable team of commercial roofing contractors offering services for expert roofing in Toronto and the surroundings. Contact us today to speak with our team of highly trained roofing professionals, or book your free industrial roofing inspection here.
Choosing an experienced commercial roofing contractor in Toronto is one of the most important things you can do for your property. Installing a commercial or industrial flat roof takes skill and quality workmanship, so going with the right company to install your flat roof is as easily as important as using high performance material.
In general, most professional commercial roofing contractors are reliable craftsmen, however, it’s important to do prior due diligence when it comes to hiring the right contractor for your commercial or industrial roofing project. Hiring an inexperienced industrial roofing contractor, for example, can be a costly mistake.
So, to help you make the right decision on which industrial roofing contractor to hire in Toronto, we’ve outlined some important questions to ask, first. Below are ten essential questions to ask a commercial roofing company before, during and after your roofing project.
Questions to ask before the roofing project begins
- Is the commercial roofing company fully licensed and insured within the local jurisdiction? If so, the company’s insurance certificate should be available upon request.
- Is the company registered with the government and in good standing with Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)? Avoid companies that are not.
- How long has the company been in operation for? The more experience, the better.
- Is the company certified by its product manufacturers? Only hire a company if certified by all of its product manufacturers.
- What is their reputation with local customers? Always ask to see testimonials of other commercial roofing projects they’ve completed.
- What is the timeline of the project? Much of the time spent on a new commercial roofing project involves the general design. Once the project begins, the commercial roofing company you hire should provide an experienced crew to complete the project efficiently and on time. To ensure that your roofer understands and accommodates your timeframe, always ask how long the project will take before work begins.
Questions to ask during the roofing project
- How can noise be managed? It’s no secret that installing a new commercial flat roof in Toronto can be a noisy job. With that being said, noise can always be managed. In all cases, your commercial roofing contractor should ensure you are not unnecessarily disturbed.
- What is that smell and will it affect day-to-day business operations? Ensure that the commercial roofing company you hire is using safe, low-VOC adhesives or primers on your roofing project. Although you may notice temporary odors, professional roofing companies will have the proper know-how to minimize the infiltration of odors through roof vents and other openings.
Questions to ask after the roofing project has completed
- What should I do to protect my investment and ensure maximum roof longevity? To maximize the long-term performance of a new commercial roofing system, it is important that the company you hire follows-up with periodic roof inspections.
- When can I schedule a flat roof inspection? The commercial roofing company you hire should be available anytime for a roofing inspection. A roofing inspection is a vital part of maintaining the lifespan of your roof, as it can reveal problems like storm damage and clogged drains. Routine inspections reveal developing issues in order to better manage them at a less expensive rate than if left unattended.
Hiring a Commercial Roofer in Toronto
The installation of a high-performance commercial roofing system is something all commercial property owners require. Therefore, it is understandable that business owners and managers will have questions about the process.
When it comes to hiring a commercial or industrial roofing contractor in Toronto, Ontario, trust the experts at Crown Industrial Roofing. We have the experience necessary to perform a wide variety of industrial and commercial roofing projects in the Greater Toronto Area. As one of Toronto’s most trusted commercial roofing companies, you can count on us. Contact one of our commercial roofing contractors today, and let us know how we can help you get started on your commercial roofing project.
Your industrial flat roof is among the most important aspects of your building, which is why it’s important to ensure that it’s properly maintained and taken care of at all times. Think about it: a flat roof shields your property and should always be in top condition and up to safety standards. This can be accomplished by hiring an industrial roofing company in Toronto to regularly check the status of your roof.
When you hire a professional industrial roofing company, like Crown Industrial Roofing, you can be confident that your flat roof is in good hands. If you own commercial property and are looking for further guidance on what to do with your roof when it’s in need of repairs, replacement, or general maintenance, it’s important to call a local industrial roofing company. An industrial roofing company will ensure proper professionalism, quality of work and satisfaction guaranteed with each and every project.
Need more convincing? Here are five reasons why you should call an industrial roofing company in Toronto.
- Because an industrial roofing company makes safety its top priority. During the construction of an industrial roofing project, accidents can happen. Roofing contractors employed by an industrial roofing company are trained in the field of work and know what to do if an accident occurs. Industrial roofers are also better equipped with the right safety gear to handle an accident properly, or prevent it entirely.
- Because an industrial roofing company will provide fast and efficient service. Hiring a highly skilled and reliable roofing contractor can be extremely beneficial. Why? A professional roofing company will have the acquired assets to complete the job properly and on time. At Crown Industrial Roofing, our commercial and industrial roofing contractors understand that every minute of your roofing project is valuable. For that reason alone, we value good communication and timely work.
- Because an industrial roofing company can guarantee high quality work. Industrial roofers will use top of the line products, are highly trained workers, and always perform a rigorous quality control inspection to ensure a longer-lasting investment for you. Professional roofers will also inspect, or perform other roof maintenance as needed. The quality of work you receive from an industrial roofing company will assure you of peace of mind as well as increased roof lifespan.
- Because an industrial roofing company cares about your long-term investment. An industrial roofing company knows what it takes to properly inspect your roof, and will let you know what steps to get your roof fully functional. Hiring an industrial roofing company will better protect your initial investment, as their inspections cover everything to identify hidden problems, so you can be provided a proper action plan.
- Because an industrial roofing company has the qualified experience you need. Roofing professionals will have the proper experience you’re looking for. They are licensed and know exactly how much material will be needed for your property. Those setting out to complete a commercial or industrial roofing project independently may either over, or underestimate how much material will be needed. Instead of hiring someone with minimal experience, or one that will do a poor job, call the experienced professionals at Crown Industrial Roofing.
Get Your Free Roofing Inspection in Toronto
Are you in need of a commercial or industrial roofing expert in Toronto? At Crown Industrial Roofing, we have over 40 years of experience providing quality commercial roofing across the GTA. Regardless of the project size, we’ll always provide top-rated roofing services from beginning to end.
Still have questions about our commercial roofing services? Don’t hesitate to contact our team today to speak directly with our experienced roofing contractors, or book your free roofing inspection here.
New roofing is one of the most expensive building improvement costs a commercial property owner will face. As with most construction projects, there is a direct relationship between quality and cost. When it comes to commercial or industrial roofing in Toronto, quality matters.
Roofs made of high quality materials will provide the best longevity. In fact, it almost never makes sense to bargain when choosing materials for your commercial roof. Rather, spending a little extra on a quality commercial or industrial roof will give you more peace of mind, as the roof will not only last much longer, but will also protect your building (and the people within) much longer.
So, which roofing material is best for your commercial property in Toronto? And, which lasts the longest? We’ve outlined below some of the most common commercial roofing materials that can both properly protect your long-term investment, and provide a safe roof over your head.
- Built-Up Roofing (BUR)
A built-up roof (BUR) is a common layered roof that is created by alternative layers of roofing felt and waterproof membrane such as fiberglass and bitumen (hot asphalt). BUR roofing is generally seen on flat roofs and can provide extreme longevity and effectiveness when installed properly.
Average Lifespan of Built Up Roofing
Built up roofs typically last anywhere from 20 to 30 years. The best way to maximize the lifespan of BUR roofs is through proper maintenance and upkeep. For example, regular inspection, repair, and by keeping debris off the roof to prevent surface degradation will ensure increased longevity.
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Roofing
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) is a synthetic industrial grade rubber created from a combination of ethylene propylene and diene, an unsaturated hydrocarbon alkene. EPDM roofs are flexible, yet remarkably durable, and as a result, provide a longer-than-normal lifespan.
Average Lifespan of EPDM Roofing
The rubber that comprises EPDM roofing membrane is what puts it at a higher lifespan of anywhere from 20 to 30 years. EPDM roofing can be applied in three thicknesses: 45 Mil (thousandths of inch), 60 Mil and 90 Mil. EPDM is so effective that even the 45 Mil membrane is sufficient for most small- to medium-size commercial or industrial flat roofs.
- Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC Roofing Material
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is a type of single-ply roofing membrane that is most commonly seen on flat or low-sloped structures. PVC is known for its durability and longevity because it contains cool roof pigments, UV stabilizers, and other components to extend the life of the membrane. PVC is also a cost effective option for property owners looking to lower their heating and cooling costs. Because PVC is composed of highly material, energy demand is reduced as well as monthly heating (with insulation) and cooling costs.
Average Lifespan of PVC Roofing
PVC roofing membrane is the third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer in the world. It’s a highly durable, long-lasting roofing material that has a lifespan of 25-30 years when properly looked after and maintained.
- TPO or Thermoplastic Oflefin Roofing
Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) is a single-ply reflective roofing membrane made from polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber polymerized together. TPO is mostly used with flat roofs that are commonly seen on malls, shopping centers, warehouses and expansive office complexes.
Average Lifespan of TPO Roofing
While not as flexible as traditional PVC, TPO is less expensive and generally lasts 15 to 20 years, offering a cost-effective, yet very dependable alternative for most commercial or industrial flat roofs.
Toronto Businesses Rely on BUR, EPDM, PVC, TPO Roofs
Although it may be easy to choose the most inexpensive option when financing a new commercial or industrial flat roof in Toronto, taking a long-term approach will prevail. More expensive roofing material for your flat roof will provide better value over the lifetime of your property. Above all, a quality flat roof will give you a more protected building and a better long-term investment.
At Crown Industrial Roofing, we’ll provide anything from emergency flat roof repairs to complete flat roof replacements. We’re experts in BUR, EPDM, PVC and TPO roofing in Toronto, and have delivered professional workmanship and durable roofing across the Greater Toronto Area since 1977. We have the experience and proper resources to successfully complete your commercial roofing project – on time and on budget. Book a free commercial roofing inspection with us today.